Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Countdown

My daughter is going to college in six days. I had a "moment" this morning. While making plans for next week, it occurred to me that none of those plans will include her, and the thought brought me to tears. I recovered fairly quickly, but I am expecting to have several more "moments" over the next few weeks.
What a strange season of life. I'm thinking back to when I left home for college, and I wonder if my Mom had the same feelings about me leaving as I'm having now. And I'm thinking about how the last thing on my mind when I was 18 was how my Mother was feeling about my leaving home.  I suppose that's a good thing. My daughter has enough to worry about; leaving her home and family, moving into a new place with strangers, beginning college classes, striking out "on her own". She doesn't need to be worrying about her mother! But I do hope she misses me a little.
Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment